Re: rpm database

On 01/10/2005 04:19:03 PM, Jain, Nilesh wrote:
Hello all,

I have a system which has basic OS installed and few packages not
using
rpm. I want to build rpm database on that machine, so that I can
install
rpm packages in future.

Any pointers in on this will be highly appreciable. Has somebody on
this
mailing done similar in past, please share your experience.

I did this with LFS -

the way I did it was to bootstrap the install with rpm.
Build rpm, then build rpm packages for the files that were previously installed w/o rpm - and --nodeps install them.

Once you have a few key packages, like bash, glibc, binutils, and a couple others (I think there were six) the rest is almost cake, once you get the order right.

The hard part is writing all the spec files - you want to duplicate exactly what was put in from the tarball when built from source code.