Re: rpmbuild producing different files

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 19:36 -0700, matt whiteley wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:27:46 -0400, Scot Mc Pherson
> <scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 October 2004 05:58 am, matt whiteley wrote:
> >

> > > As an introduction, I have been building a few rpms for about two
> > > years now for personal use. Now that I am having to create them for
> > > work, I am trying to learn more about them. I just spent a day
> > > figuring out that the default strip post command was causing the
> > > binary I had to be invalid. That was a fun one to figure out.
> > >
> > > My question is this: Why is the rpm produced from a .spec file differ
> > > in multiple build attemps?
> > >
> > > What I mean is that I repeatedly built the same file from a .spec and
> > > each time it had a varrying size and md5sum. I am curious as to what
> > > might cause this. (hopefully I am not missing something terribly
> > > obvious).
> > >
> > > thanks,
> >
> > Generally this means you have an unstable toolchain. When all things are equal
> > the toolchain should produce the same output every time. When I build glibc
> > several time, my files are always the same from one build to the next unless
> > I change something. Try rebuilding binutils, gcc and glibc a few times until
> > they settle into producing consistent code.
> >
> > --
> > Scot Mc Pherson
> > scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot
> > http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
> > AIM: ScotLFS ICQ: 342949 MSN:behomet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> So in trying to do some more testing I downloaded the FC2 Bison SRPM
> and wrote a script to build it 100 times and name the rpms with a
> timestamp. Well all 100 had different md5sums, and a nice bell curve
> distribution on the file sizes. What is interesting is that I
> extracted the RPMS and every file in the RPM save one has the same
> md5sum. For the Bison rpm this is 'liby.a'.

I'd say this is to be expected because (ar) archives contain time stamps
which change with every build. That is also why I would expect every RPM
to have different checksums, because it again contains a (cpio) archive
which contains timestamps.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@xxxxxxxxxx