Re: rpmbuild producing different files

On Saturday 16 October 2004 05:58 am, matt whiteley wrote:
> As an introduction, I have been building a few rpms for about two
> years now for personal use. Now that I am having to create them for
> work, I am trying to learn more about them. I just spent a day
> figuring out that the default strip post command was causing the
> binary I had to be invalid. That was a fun one to figure out.
>
> My question is this: Why is the rpm produced from a .spec file differ
> in multiple build attemps?
>
> What I mean is that I repeatedly built the same file from a .spec and
> each time it had a varrying size and md5sum. I am curious as to what
> might cause this. (hopefully I am not missing something terribly
> obvious).
>
> thanks,

Generally this means you have an unstable toolchain. When all things are equal
the toolchain should produce the same output every time. When I build glibc
several time, my files are always the same from one build to the next unless
I change something. Try rebuilding binutils, gcc and glibc a few times until
they settle into producing consistent code.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx