rpmbuild producing different files

As an introduction, I have been building a few rpms for about two
years now for personal use. Now that I am having to create them for
work, I am trying to learn more about them. I just spent a day
figuring out that the default strip post command was causing the
binary I had to be invalid. That was a fun one to figure out.

My question is this: Why is the rpm produced from a .spec file differ
in multiple build attemps?

What I mean is that I repeatedly built the same file from a .spec and
each time it had a varrying size and md5sum. I am curious as to what
might cause this. (hopefully I am not missing something terribly
obvious).

thanks,

--
matt whiteley <mattwhiteley@xxxxxxxxx>