Re: rpmbuild producing different files

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:27:46 -0400, Scot Mc Pherson
<scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 16 October 2004 05:58 am, matt whiteley wrote:
>

> > As an introduction, I have been building a few rpms for about two
> > years now for personal use. Now that I am having to create them for
> > work, I am trying to learn more about them. I just spent a day
> > figuring out that the default strip post command was causing the
> > binary I had to be invalid. That was a fun one to figure out.
> >
> > My question is this: Why is the rpm produced from a .spec file differ
> > in multiple build attemps?
> >
> > What I mean is that I repeatedly built the same file from a .spec and
> > each time it had a varrying size and md5sum. I am curious as to what
> > might cause this. (hopefully I am not missing something terribly
> > obvious).
> >
> > thanks,
>
> Generally this means you have an unstable toolchain. When all things are equal
> the toolchain should produce the same output every time. When I build glibc
> several time, my files are always the same from one build to the next unless
> I change something. Try rebuilding binutils, gcc and glibc a few times until
> they settle into producing consistent code.
>
> --
> Scot Mc Pherson
> scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot
> http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
> AIM: ScotLFS ICQ: 342949 MSN:behomet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I accidentally sent this to Scot off-list since I am still forgetting
to reply all and remove the sender in gmail. Sorry Scot.

So, since this has been on a freshly installed and updated fedora core
2 system, a fully updated fedora core 1 system and a fedora core 3
test 2 system, does this mean that generally the toolchains are
damaged in these systems? I have not changed any of the compilers,
linkers etc.

Do others have this same issue in fedora? I don't see anything in
bugzilla about it.

--
matt whiteley <mattwhiteley@xxxxxxxxx>