Re: "foreign" file

Yan Fitterer wrote:
> I have a file that conflicts with an already-installed version that's
> part of another package.

Without knowing more it is hard to get a mental picture of what you
are doing.

> I want to include the file, but not if it is there already. I need as
> well to make sure the dependency is listed, even if my package doesn't
> own the file.

But in this case I think you must require a newer version of the other
package and both you and it must coordinate somehow on sharing this
file.

Since you rpm is not reentrant you can't call it from inside rpm to
see if the file is currently owned by another package.  I think the
best you can do is to plant a file if it is not there and then never
touch it again.  You can't even clean up after yourself.  Ugly.

> I could as well move it out of the way in %pre and restore it in %post,
> but that wouldn't be right either...

The problem with doing it that way is that then the other package will
fail --verify.  That is not good.  That would cause people like me to
reinstall the first package in order to correct that problem.

And what happens when the first package is upgraded?  That will again
replace that file that was moved out of the way in the %pre so that
does not work there either.

What you really want is something I have wanted from the debian
system.  I want a way to divert files out of the way so that the
package manager knows to put them back.

Sorry no answers, just more problem cases...

Bob