Re: Improved functionality for kernel rpms?

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> There are other approaches.  Many distros seem to distribute
> kernel rpms named in such a way that a new kernel doesn't
> look (to rpm) like a newer version of an older one, and so
> updating in place just doesn't work. With -A running, install -B,
> reboot, if everything checkes out you can delete -A.
>
> I suspect this means that too many users have gotten
> bitten or they wouldn't be doing this.

It has nothing to do with being bitten.  It has to do with working
with the tools as they exist.  Naming kernels uniquely just seems like
the right thing to do to me.  I generally want things to be
automatically updated.  But I don't want the kernel to be
automatically updated.  At the least I will need to reboot afterward
and so kernel updates are at this moment still something that takes
human intervention to complete.

> Now if distros would be a little more cautious what they add...
> maybe we could count on replacing the kernel with a supported
> update as not being a recipe for disaster.

The method to do that within the current packaging system is to use a
generic metapackage and something like apt or yum.  The meta package
requires the latest kernel.  APT will upgrade the generic meta which
will pull in the latest kernel.  Everything works and you get
automatic kernel upgrades.  The last kernel will still be available
until cleaned off.  So the only downside is that you can collect up
a long list of kernels on the machine until you clean.

> The summary is, this is a distro problem to solve, and it's
> within their power to solve it without changing rpm.

Agreed.

Bob