RE: Improved functionality for kernel rpms?

>> Would it be possible to extend rpm with an option to be used
>> in kernel rpms, so that when people (mistakenly) run
>> "rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6...", the old kernel rpm is not uninstalled?

>Seems you are trying to code around a lack of common sense.
>
>People will only do -Uvh until it bites them, then never
>again...  It sucks, but sometimes the School of Hard Knocks is
>the best way to get a lasting education.

There are other approaches.  Many distros seem to distribute
kernel rpms named in such a way that a new kernel doesn't
look (to rpm) like a newer version of an older one, and so
updating in place just doesn't work. With -A running, install -B,
reboot, if everything checkes out you can delete -A.

I suspect this means that too many users have gotten
bitten or they wouldn't be doing this.

Now if distros would be a little more cautious what they add...
maybe we could count on replacing the kernel with a supported
update as not being a recipe for disaster.  In the once-bitten
camp, I once upgraded my kernel on a SUSE distro (one who
doesn't do the "your can't upgrade in place" trick) - it was
supposed to be just a security fix, but the new one absolutely
wouldn't run on my hardware.  Later digging turned out just
a little bit more :-) than the security fix had gone in...
And I never asked for "rpm -Uvh", for this one I used the
Yast gui, which offered several things that ought to get
upgraded for various serious-sounding reasons.

The summary is, this is a distro problem to solve, and it's
within their power to solve it without changing rpm.