"foreign" file

Trying to build an RPM. I have a spec file that works fine, except:

I have a file that conflicts with an already-installed version that's
part of another package.

I want to include the file, but not if it is there already. I need as
well to make sure the dependency is listed, even if my package doesn't
own the file.

for the first part, I tried a %config(noreplace), but of course as the
file is not part of a previous version...

Rather stuck. I could put some conditional in the install: bit of the
Makefile, but I suppose rpm will not "do the right thing".

I could as well move it out of the way in %pre and restore it in %post,
but that wouldn't be right either...

Is this list searchable somewhere? I'm sure this has been answered
before, but I couldn't find it.

Any help or comments most welcome.

Yan