Re: CC and CFLAGS, and a naming question

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:34:41PM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 02 June 2004, at 17:23:18 (-0400),
> Carlos Villegas wrote:
> > This is not a good idea, the idea of using rpm for source management
> > is the capability of reproducing the builds exactly, that would
> > break it...
>
> If that were true, rpmbuild wouldn't support things like --with and
> --without.

Yes, but I'd say those options are classified in the "give them
enough rope, and hope they don't hang themselves" category. In
general you want the spec file to document all that's needed, so
you don't want "magic foo-foo" (environment, command line...) to
alter what you get. But at least on the command line you are
forced to be aware of it, whereas that is not necessarily true
for an environment variable (imagine if you set DESTDIR to try
something, and forget about it, and now suddendly your rpm
doesn't build, even worse with CFLAGS, where it might build, but
might be very different from what you already tested/expect...).
Just my 2 cents.

Carlos