Re: So, what _is_ the right thing to do?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Christian Goetze wrote:

> >>  Well, what _is_ the right thing to do, and how do I selectively erase
> >> a particular rpm without erasing all of them?
>
> > The right thing is not to have multiple identical rpms only
> > differentiated by prefix installed.
>
> If you believe this, then rpm shouldn't permit it. Since rpm permits it,
> it should have a way to undo it, too.

It does, just not from the CLI (which was what you asked for in your RFE).

> I believe there is a reasonable use case for doing this. In a development
> shop, I'd like permit multiple developers to build and test a specific rpm
> simultaniously, without having to play games with either the name or the
> version, since all of these may have other effects on various build,
> install and configuration scripts.

Though, I think your request is reasonable, another way to achieve the
same thing is to have your developers work in a chroot, or use
their own rpm db's that are copies of the system rpm db.

Cheers...james
> I guess I can prefix the name with a developer name and hope for the best,
> that's the only option which is left...
Seriously, try that python script that Paul showed you.  It looked like
that should do the trick.  I would have mentioned something like this
sooner, but I don't work with python much, and did not know the exact tag
to query on (now I do...thanks Paul).

Cheers...james