Re: How can i enter value during rpm -i and use them during the postinstall process?

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:51:11AM -0800, Baz wrote:
> > 3. Could you please explain your need more clearly and reasoning behind
> > it. Remember rpm installs are meant to be non-interactive and can be done
> > via the api/depsolver bypassing the command line.
>
> If every RPM starts having requirements for custom command-line options, how
> is an installer program supposed to know what options it ought to feed to
> which package? This is really asking for trouble.

I think the idea is not cli customizations required, but sane defaults
that can be overridden from the cli.  He has a legitimate need, there
is just no straight forward completely intuitive way to get there today.

> > So, nobody actually pass parameters, values while doing "rpm -i"??? How
> > does one able to do what I want to do in their installation? I am sure
> > that it is not uncommon to do it, am i right?
>
> In order: right; do it at runtime instead of at install time; zero =
> extremely uncommon.

The other way of doing it; when it gets to hard get out of the rpm
box (-;  Seriously, though, keeping initial configuration, when reasonable
in the rpm is very desirable, especially when creating packages to deliver
sysadmin content.

Cheers...james