Re: How can I change some values within the spec file during rpmbuild?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Baz wrote:

> James,
>
> How can i assign the value from the command line like i said? Then how can i
> declare it within the specfile? I am not understanding the suggestions you
> posted.

Hi Barry,

I was not suggesting use the rpmbuild command line.  I was suggesting that
you create a wrapper to rpmbuild that generates a file containing macro
defitions and then in your spec file you read in that generated file, and
then evaluate the macros (silly me, I had forgotten you can do --define
with rpmbuild, but then your having problmes?).  For instance, in the
build environment I work with to build any rpm, we type:

	build

while in the directory where specfile exists.  build is just a wrapper
of rpmbuild that enforces various build environment policies, and amoung
other things actually modifies the spec file in question passing in its
release.  Now I did this a while back when I did not know any better.
Today, I would generate a seperate file rather than edit the spec file,
and the spec file would include it and evaluate it.  Providing, the
--define worked rpm build I could just string together a long list of
--define's, but I think writting all the macros to a seperate file scales
better, and has its advantages (debuging is one of them; though, debuging
the editted spec file is even easier (-;).

So in short, I was just offering another way/mechanism for instituting
your release number policies external to the spec file itself (which make
since if the policy is global to all your packages you build in your
build environment).

Hope that answers your questions, but if not, feel free to ask some
more.

Cheers...james