Re: How can i enter value during rpm -i and use them during the postinstall process?

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:11:53AM -0800, Baz wrote:
> Paul and all,
>
> So the suggestion is to use multiple Prefix?

Based on what you asked for.

> I think i gave a bad example to mislead you. What if I only want to input
> two strings? What can I do if i want to do the following:
>
> "rpm -i software_a.rpm STRING1 STRING2"

James' reply covered this thoroughly please reread, currently passing
parameters to scriptlets is unspupported.  Bleeding edge work is being done one
this but you can not do this at the moment with any released version of rpm.

Your example specifically stated you want to handle installation directory if
so you need to use relocation in which case I thought abusing relocation would
suffice, if you are not doing relocation I would *not* advise this approach.

> How can i do it? I know about using prefix but i dont think i should use

Could you please explain your need more clearly and reasoning behind it.
Remember rpm installs are meant to be non-interactive and can be done via the
api/depsolver bypassing the command line.

Depending on the nature of your need having a config file which has the
parameters in and on first run of your application prompting for entry may be
your best approach

Paul