Re: I did a no no....

The first thing I would do would be to look in
/var/lib/rpm
and see if there is any files like
__db.001
__db.002
__db.003
I would then, back that whole directory up
  cp -r /var/lib/rpm /var/lib/rpm.backup
delete those files
  rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
and see if that fixes the problem.
Troy

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
rpm -qa | grep some_package

And, it seems that I have a lot of them installed. And I tried

killall -9 rpm

Emmanuel Papirakis

See if an ordianry user can still do $ rpm -qa

On my system, when I have messed up my rpm db (which you should backup after each successful transaction i.e. tar jcf rpm-backup-${DATE}.tar.bz2 /var/lib/
rpm), sometimes only the root user can't use rpm, but the ordianry user can't. In this case a simple rpm --rebuilddb should fix it. I can't see rpm -qa breaking a db, perhaps something else broke it before you performed the $ killall -9 rpm.

-- __________________________________________________ Troy Dawson dawson@xxxxxxxx (630)840-6468 Fermilab ComputingDivision/CSS CSI Group __________________________________________________