I did a no no....

Hi,
this is somewhat funny. But.... I have a redhat-9.0 system and
I have the habit of typing:

rpm -qa | grep some_package

And, it seems that I have a lot of them installed. And I tried

killall -9 rpm

 The fact that rpm probably maintains a lock, and sending SIGKILL
to it would prevent it from performing apropriate cleanup only came
to me as an after thought.

 So, now....  I would like to learn something from my mistake and
 recover it by hand instead of reinstalling the whole system
 (which seems inevitable at first).

 But, since I am new to rpm low level management, I do not have a
clue where to start. First of all, what kind of locking mechanisms
are used in rpm ? (Is there a file somewhere that I could chmod to
undo a mandatory file lock (the bits 02000 set and the bit 00010 not
set kind of lock (or would the kernel have unlocked it regardless of
process cleanup)). Or do I have to modify something in C ?

 When I attempt to install a new rpm (and strace the command),
the last line strace shows is:

 futex(0x404703e0, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL

 I have (vaguely) checked some futex documentation, but...

 I would be thankeful for any starting point or hint....

 Emmanuel Papirakis