What tools to use for multipackage download and install?

We have some software for Linux, mainly Red Hat 7.3 or 9, distributed across the net in the form of multiple, interdependent rpm packages. A user will typically install one "application" package that utilises a number of custom "base" or "library" packages. These in turn rely on "OS" packages, as well as some external freeware packages that are somewhat non-standard and may or may not be installed already; we also provide our own versions of these in case they are needed.

Now, I think that basing the packages on the RPM format is the right way, and also that our package structure is essentially correct. However, I fear that doing the actual download and install using a standard browser along with the rpm command is a bit to complex for our average user. I really want to recommend a somewhat simpler processes, possibly involving a GUI installer. I've had a look at redhat-config-packages, but that, too, leaves a lot to be desired. I would like to hear other people's option on this matter. What install tool do you recommend using, what kind of guidelines do you give users etc.?

Some observations and (potential) problems in no particular order:

  1. The typical user may be expected to know what application package
     to download and install, but probably needs to be guided in the
     dependency resolution.
  2. The standard browser config may not be expected to have a usable
     MIME handler setup for rpm packages (so the user can't be told
     just to click on the appropriate links and wait for the install
     tool to appear.)
  3. The user will have to specify the exact list of packages needed on
     the rpm command line, or install single packages in exactly the
     correct order; there is no way (as far as I know, to get rpm to
     pick the ones needed and/or the ones not already installed from a
     larger list. In particular, when rpm encounters a package that is
     installed already, it simply exits, rather than continuing and
     installing the ones that are *not* present.
  4. The same goes for redhat-config-packages, more or less.
  5. The dependency resolution functionality of redhat-config-packages
     is not very useful, as it is only implemented for software
     distributed along with the OS.
  6. FTP or HTTP installation is not supported by redhat-config-packages.
  7. There is no simple & direct way to pass multiple files to (e.g.)
     redhat-config-packages via the desktop. If you mark several files,
     then select Open, you get one instance of the application for each
     file, rather than one instance with all files open.

- Toralf