Re: What tools to use for multipackage download and install?

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Toralf Lund wrote:

> We have some software for Linux, mainly Red Hat 7.3 or 9, distributed
> across the net in the form of multiple, interdependent rpm packages. A
> user will typically install one "application" package that utilises a
> number of custom "base" or "library" packages. These in turn rely on
> "OS" packages, as well as some external freeware packages that are
> somewhat non-standard and may or may not be installed already; we also
> provide our own versions of these in case they are needed.

Have a look at either yum (http://linux.duke.edu/yum/) or apt-rpm. Yum
will allow things like yum install foo. Where foo is the package name you want
to install. It will resolve the deps and pull in the needed packages for you
(assuming they are available). I am told apt-rpm will do the same thing
although I have no personal experience with it.

HTH,