Re: Using Epoch to nuke Obsoletes?

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:11:03PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mar 06/01/2004 à 18:00, Theo Van Dinter a écrit :
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm the RPM packager for SpamAssassin.  Our "official" spec file makes
> > 3 RPMs, but for this discussion only two are important: spamassassin
> > and perl-Mail-SpamAssassin.  The latest version/release of the RPMs
> > are 2.61-1.
> >
> > The problem I've found is that the latest official RedHat RPM (single,
> > just "spamassassin") is version 2.55 and includes an "Obsoletes:
> > perl-Mail-SpamAssassin" line.
>
> [...]
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Convert to something closer to Rawhide spamassassin (2.61 too) ? You
> usually can't win naming wars with your target distro. Once it starts
> repackaging your stuff - your package is dead.

He'd be bound to one distro only, the next would impose yet another
problem, and the thrid yet another etc.

We need better standardization schemes. Anyway unversioned Obsoletes
are as evil as Epochs, I'd suggest filing a bug report against the
vendor package to use Obsoletes: perl-Mail-SpamAssassin <= %{version},
or to drop the Obsolete (there was never such a package in any RH
distro anyway IIRC).

--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx