Using Epoch to nuke Obsoletes?

Hi folks,

I'm the RPM packager for SpamAssassin.  Our "official" spec file makes
3 RPMs, but for this discussion only two are important: spamassassin
and perl-Mail-SpamAssassin.  The latest version/release of the RPMs
are 2.61-1.

The problem I've found is that the latest official RedHat RPM (single,
just "spamassassin") is version 2.55 and includes an "Obsoletes:
perl-Mail-SpamAssassin" line.

This leads to problems where people install my RPMs, then when they do an
"up2date" or some such, they end up being told to upgrade from 2.61 to
2.55, which obviously is wrong.

The question is: how do I get that Obsoletes trumped by something in
my spec file?  I've tried using Epoch (a suggestion I got from a few
people), but that seems to be used more for non-numeric versions than
what I'm trying to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"... but I got high score on terminator."      - Prof. O'Donnell