[Sound] restarting sound after crash

I've been searching around and have not been able to find an answer to
this.  I'm sure part of it is I don't completely understand how OSS is
tied into everything.

Anyway, suppose I have an application running which requires sound (xmms,
mplayer, etc.).  If that application crashes, it somehow locks up the
sound and no other device is able to produce any sound.  I know there has
to be a better way than rebooting the computer to regain sound.  Is there
a particular process that needs to be killed?  A lock file removed?
Something else?

TIA,
Brian

bts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]