Re: [Sound] on-board sound (Realtek AC97)

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 12:04, Brian Schmidt wrote:
> I recently upgraded my computer and am now running with a Gigabyte
> GA-7VAXP motherboard.  It uses the AC97 Realtek ALC650 on-board sound. Red
> Hat's detection thinks it's a VIA VT8233 device and wants to set it up as
> such using via82cxxx_audio.  However, this doesn't work.

The Red Hat detection is sort of right. The ALC650 is the D/A convertor
side. The PCI side is VIA audio. However the driver doesnt support
8233/8235. I've fixed this very recently but Red Hat have yet to release
a kernel with this support.

> My sister has this same motherboard and when I set up Red Hat on her
> system, I just went ahead and used ALSA and it worked just fine and
> actually seems to sound better than my previous SoundBlaster Live! using
> OSS.  However, I have a couple of games that will only work with OSS, so I
> would like to have that working. Any ideas?  Experiences with this audio
> device?  I'm fairly new to having to tweak anything sound-related, since
> I'd always had a SoundBlaster card in the past which Just Worked.

ALSA supports the 8233/8235 yes.

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]