Re: [Sound] RH8.0 No sound

--- Roger Harrington <linuxmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> I wonder if the program you were thinking of is
> called pnpdump? From
> what I can see, it creates the /etc/isapnp.conf
> file. However, this
> utility no longer appears to be in Redhat 8.0.
>
> Neither do I have an /etc/isapnp.conf file, so
> wonder if this could be
> the source of my problems?
>
> Also, a whole lot of other directories have "no such
> device" messages
> and the directory, /dev/synth mentioned in dmesg
> does not exist.
>
> Almost wonder if I should extract the soundcard, let
> kudzu delete the
> information, re-insert card and see if kudzu can get
> it's act together.
>
> Roger
>
> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 07:44, Ken Seymour wrote:

In another thread, Bill Nottingham pointed out to me
that the functionality represented by pnpdump has been
incorporated into the kernel.
The thread subject is "[Sound] PNP sound cards on dual
boot systems."
So more recent kernels make the pnpdump >
/etc/isapnp.conf unnecessary.

So the information I gave you is out of date.

If the pnp part of the kernel is working for your
card, it should appear at some io ports.
It might even pick the same io ports as it does under
Windows.
I don't know if doing a 'cat /proc/ioports' would
yield any information.

My system is running RedHat 8.0 and I do not have a
/dev/synth.  I do, however, have /dev/audio,
/dev/mixer, and a bunch of /dev/midi0, midi1, ...
device files.

However, my dmesg yields the following line:

speakup:  initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR
10, MINOR 25)