Re: [Sound] RH8.0 No sound

Hi Ken

I wonder if the program you were thinking of is called pnpdump? From
what I can see, it creates the /etc/isapnp.conf file. However, this
utility no longer appears to be in Redhat 8.0.

Neither do I have an /etc/isapnp.conf file, so wonder if this could be
the source of my problems?

Also, a whole lot of other directories have "no such device" messages
and the directory, /dev/synth mentioned in dmesg does not exist.

Almost wonder if I should extract the soundcard, let kudzu delete the
information, re-insert card and see if kudzu can get it's act together.

Roger

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 07:44, Ken Seymour wrote:
> --- Roger Harrington <linuxmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I am using a Yamaha OPL3-SAx soundcard but have
> > absolutely zero sound
> > with RH8.0 It worked with RH7.2
> >
> > The kernel sees the card during bootup as shown in
> > dmesg: -
> > isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> > isapnp: Card 'OPL3-SA3 Sound Board'
> > isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
> > speakup:  initialized device: /dev/synth, node
> > (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
> >
> > I then tried to configure the card using the System
> > Settings/Soundcard
> > Detection utility and it came back with "No
> > soundcards detected"
> >
> > I then reverted to Windows 98 (under which the
> > soundcard works fine) and
> > noted the parameters for the card, i/o addresses of
> > 220-22F, 530-537,
> > 388-38F, 330-331, 370-371. IRQ=5, DMA 0 DMA 1.
> >
> > Back in RH8 I then ran /usr/sbin/sndconfig which
> > only offered me one of
> > the W98 i/o adresses (530) the others not being
> > compatible with the W98
> > addresses. Also the DMA was shown as DMA 1 and DMA2.
> >

> I had similar difficulty getting an OPL3-SA2 card
> working.
> But I was ultimately successful.
> Here is what I learned in the process:
>
> Plug and play cards do not repond on the regular I/O
> ports initially, they repond on a plug and play port.
> The operating system sends plug and play commands to
> select the addresses at which the card will appear.
> Then the sound device driver can talk to the card.
>
> Windows does this automatically during startup, but
> the card will not appear at those same addresses
> unless it has been told to with plug and play
> commands.
>
> On RedHat linux, there is a file /etc/isapnp.conf
> which /sbin/isapnp uses to send the plug and play
> commands to tell the sound card where show up.
>
> There is another command that probes the PNP cards and
> dumps all possible configurations (supported ports).
> You have to edit this file and turn it into
> /etc/isapnp.conf.
>
> I wish I could remember the name of the command, but
> the machine I did this all on has been put away for a
> few weeks now.
>
> I hope this makes some sense.

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]