Re: [Sound] RH8.0 No sound

--- Roger Harrington <linuxmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I am using a Yamaha OPL3-SAx soundcard but have
> absolutely zero sound
> with RH8.0 It worked with RH7.2
>
> The kernel sees the card during bootup as shown in
> dmesg: -
> isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> isapnp: Card 'OPL3-SA3 Sound Board'
> isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
> speakup:  initialized device: /dev/synth, node
> (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
>
> I then tried to configure the card using the System
> Settings/Soundcard
> Detection utility and it came back with "No
> soundcards detected"
>
> I then reverted to Windows 98 (under which the
> soundcard works fine) and
> noted the parameters for the card, i/o addresses of
> 220-22F, 530-537,
> 388-38F, 330-331, 370-371. IRQ=5, DMA 0 DMA 1.
>
> Back in RH8 I then ran /usr/sbin/sndconfig which
> only offered me one of
> the W98 i/o adresses (530) the others not being
> compatible with the W98
> addresses. Also the DMA was shown as DMA 1 and DMA2.

I had similar difficulty getting an OPL3-SA2 card
working.
But I was ultimately successful.
Here is what I learned in the process:

Plug and play cards do not repond on the regular I/O
ports initially, they repond on a plug and play port.
The operating system sends plug and play commands to
select the addresses at which the card will appear.
Then the sound device driver can talk to the card.

Windows does this automatically during startup, but
the card will not appear at those same addresses
unless it has been told to with plug and play
commands.

On RedHat linux, there is a file /etc/isapnp.conf
which /sbin/isapnp uses to send the plug and play
commands to tell the sound card where show up.

There is another command that probes the PNP cards and
dumps all possible configurations (supported ports).
You have to edit this file and turn it into
/etc/isapnp.conf.

I wish I could remember the name of the command, but
the machine I did this all on has been put away for a
few weeks now.

I hope this makes some sense.