Re: Notebook SO slow - any test programs for RH9?

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 16:16, Pekka K. Kurki wrote:

> I am definetely sure that there is something wrong with the Notebook
> because:

Well, if you *know* there is something wrong with the notebook, then you
should take it in to be repaired.  The HW specific diagnostics that the
maker of the notebook has will far exceed what general diagnostics are
available in any OS.  Besides, what can you "repair" yourself on a
notebook?  You can replace memory, maybe.  And you can replace the HD,
maybe.  But, what else?

> - same poor performanace with Win2000 - anad that worked OK earlier on
> the same equipment
> - KDE System Monitor shows that I am only using at that time some 55
> Mb physical memory

Yes, but how much swap space are you using?  And how much effort is
being used in swapping from physical memory into disk swap space?

> - the System Monitor also tells me that the CPU is not overeloaded,
> nore are any processes consuming a lot of CPU power
> - even without X simple functions like vi editor are slow
>
> I am now repeating myself but once more:
>
> - I am aware of the fact that the system is too small for full
> functionality
> - I am 100% sure that there is something wrong with the HW
> - what I am looking for would be some tools or hints for finding the
> source of problem
>
> I assume that there ie a problem either with the HD or IDE controller
> - but how to find out?

If you have convinced yourself, and indeed you have, that it is HW then
take it to the repair shop...have them determine the problem.

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.