Re: Notebook SO slow - any test programs for RH9?

Ed Greshko schrieb:
On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:34, Pekka K. Kurki wrote:

How much RAM do you have?  Your HD is probably an old 4500RPM
variety...certainly not optimal.  Is it only slow in X?

I only have 64 Mb RAM - I know that is not enough for all needs. I also
have an old 4GB Toshiba drive. So I am far from optimal - but I know
it... I just re-installed Windows 2000 on i t (that used to work very
satisfactory in that notebook before...) but Windows ia now even slower
than Linux. There is definetely somethhing wrong with the equipment, I
was just wondering if there are any Linux-based error analysis tools
somewhere...

Only 64Mb of RAM?  I'm sorry to say that there probably is nothing wrong
with your HW...except that it is inadequate to deliver any kind of
performance, especially if you are running the GUI (KDE, Gnome, etc.)

In a terminal session do a "top" and you will see what is going on.
FWIW, the in the latest RHELv3 the minimum supported configuration is
256MB.

Regards,
Ed

I am definetely sure that there is something wrong with the Notebook because:

- same poor performanace with Win2000 - anad that worked OK earlier on the same equipment
- KDE System Monitor shows that I am only using at that time some 55 Mb physical memory
- the System Monitor also tells me that the CPU is not overeloaded, nore are any processes consuming a lot of CPU power
- even without X simple functions like vi editor are slow

I am now repeating myself but once more:

- I am aware of the fact that the system is too small for full functionality
- I am 100% sure that there is something wrong with the HW
- what I am looking for would be some tools or hints for finding the source of problem

I assume that there ie a problem either with the HD or IDE controller - but how to find out?

br,
Pekka

--
(Mr.) Pekka K. Kurki