Re: devpts filesystem..

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

The Unix98 specification changes over from tty's to pts's. When you log into the box via telnet or ssh, do a "w" or "who" and you'll see that you're logged into pts/0, pts/1, etc. If you do an "ls /dev/pts" at that point, you'll see "0" or "1", etc.

In That case, I would think that's it's not really detrimental to leave it out of the system right? Or should I recompile my
system?

In what circumstance would this dev/pts filesystem be useful for??

You're not using X either then are you? Terminal emulators use /dev/pts. Any sort of remote access to the machine uses /dev/pts. expect and ppp, among other programs, use /dev/pts. It's rather silly to try to do without it -- while you're probably seeing things like "/dev/ptya1" instead (I'm guessing, I've never tried it), you're not doing yourself any favours at all -- your not benefiting from better security, smaller or faster kernel or anything like that. Quite possibly the other way around in fact. Take a look at the section on pseudo terminals in Documentation/devices.txt.

jch