Re: Remote X via SSH RH9 to RH9 problems -

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Gable Barber [mailto:porkchop52@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 1:10 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Remote X via SSH RH9 to RH9 problems -

I am trying to access one of my RH9 boxes via SSH/Remote X. X11 forwarding is set to YES in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the host machine. sshd is running as well.

You need ForwardX11 set in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the local machine I think. You can also set it in ~/.ssh/config.

Frankly I've never done it before.. But here's an idea
through usage of VNC.. you can still achieve the same thing.

Hardly -- you're comparing apples and oranges here.

If you want to use the remote connection's X server, I guess you have
to export the display or something. An area which I'm not too familiar
with.

You're confusing yourself here. X clients (e.g. mozilla, the KDE or Gnome window manager, xsetroot, xdpyinfo) talk to an X server over a network connection (e.g. TCP, unix domain socket, shared memory) and the X server interacts with the graphics hardware. Computers with screens run an X server. An application must be given permission to connect to an X server to display itself and this is typically done though the xauth mechanism and ssh looks after all that for you when you set "ForwardX11" in the right place.

You'd be doing yourself a huge favour by finding out how X works. And you might be rather surprised as well.

jch