Re: Launching Applications

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:16:00AM -0800, joe wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> >First, dma did nothing.
> >

> Could you send to this list the output of hdparm -a <your disk device>?

This is hdparm -a /dev/hda. Not very informative or is it?
 hdparm -a /dev/hda

 /dev/hda:
  readahead    =  8 (on)

> >Second, I am running fedora on a processor and memory challanged
> >machine and it is much slower than 7.3.
> >

> Interesting - I'm running fedora on a celeron 333, and found it to be
> downright snappy, even downloaded q3a and got online and fragged some
> win32 victims quite handily ;) That's what convinced me to install
> fedora on my primary workstations, and in all cases I find it the
> fastest redhat distro to date. I'm not saying you're imagining it, but
> there must be some pathological condition with your particular case -
> I'd be curious to know your exact hardware...

It is an Optiplex Gxi 498 Mhz 512K cache and 384Mb RAM. What else do
you need to know? If you tell me snappy is that Open Office or
Mozilla opens on less than 1 minute on you machine I would believe it
was snappy. Actually Mozilla opens the faster than Open Office.
Up2date takes 30 minutes to install 5 rpms. That is slow. I have a
100mbit Ethernet so retrieval should not be the problem. I have
investigated this mightily and could not find may excuse for this
behavior. By the way I have 500MB of swap space.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.