Re: Launching Applications

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:36:45AM +0000, Scott Taylor wrote:
> I have a full install of RH9 on a AMD 650 Mhz with 384 MB of RAM and I have
> noticed that even standard apps are slow to launch. I was wondering whether
> there was a typical list of apps that can be NOT run at boot time.
>
> I know this is specific to users needs, but was wondering whether this are
> some more obscure/less used apps that are usually turned off?
>
> Also what is the best method to see currently running apps?
>
> Cheers
>
> Scott
I am afraid that is the lot of people with that slow a processor and
that amount of RAM running Shrike. RedHat is following the Microsoft
model that as machines get faster you build more hardware intensive
software to slow them down.

Increasing you ram to 512 MB will help as well as not installing more
than you intent to use.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University