PATA or SATA controller

Does anyone know of a PATA or SATA controller that can be reset via software
repeatedly for a single boot of a machine? I'm not interested in SCSI, USB,
or firewire and there is no RAID involved. I'm after a solution utilizing
inexpensive PATA or SATA drives only.

I'm contemplating a backup mechanism that backs up to inexpensive removable
disks as opposed to using a relatively expensive tape drive. Those disks are
in inexpensive removable trays that I can "hot swap" while the OS is up. I
don't want the expense or complexity of a backplane that supports hot swap,
just a controller that I can send a signal to telling it to shut down, then
remove the drive, insert a new one of identical geometry, and then tell the
controller to reset and acknowledge the drive so I can mount a backup
volume.

I know I can do this if I shut the box down after the backup so the swapping
is done on an electrically cold machine. I'd rather not be that nasty to the
electronics of repeatedly shutting it down and back up just to swap a drive.

Bill Gradwohl
YCC
(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com