Re: PATA or SATA controller

> I'm contemplating a backup mechanism that backs up to inexpensive removable
> disks as opposed to using a relatively expensive tape drive. Those disks are
> in inexpensive removable trays that I can "hot swap" while the OS is up. I
> don't want the expense or complexity of a backplane that supports hot swap,
> just a controller that I can send a signal to telling it to shut down, then
> remove the drive, insert a new one of identical geometry, and then tell the
> controller to reset and acknowledge the drive so I can mount a backup
> volume.
>
> I know I can do this if I shut the box down after the backup so the swapping
> is done on an electrically cold machine. I'd rather not be that nasty to the
> electronics of repeatedly shutting it down and back up just to swap a drive.

I sorry, but you need to make up your mind. You either want hot-swap, or
not. You can't have both. Unplugging hot stuff from non-swap hardware is
even nastier. If you need removable media, get a dvd-+rw. Do not get
used drives on e-bay. They can't be trusted.
Another option is to make a fileserver out of an old obsolete box.

Also, an advice: DO NOT GET CHEAP ON BACKUP. YOU WILL REGRET IT.
You have been warned...