Re: small break...

Abhi wrote:

Not quite. The automatic partitioning allows you to choose between
removing all partitions and all _Linux_ partitions -- choose the latter
and you won't lose anything. To be completely sure, make sure you've
ticked (checked) the box that lets you review the partition table.
jch

Since he doesn't *has* a Linux partition yet to begin with(there is only
windows XP installed with no free partitions) what would choosing "remove
all linux partitions" achieve (i.e. there aren't any) ?

If you remove all the Linux partiions, then you have zero Linux partitions left. It doesn't matter how many you start with. I admit that it's a littl confusing though -- the installer could look at the disk and only offer the options that make sense.

Doesnt't he rather needs to choose manual mode and delete the partition
related to D:\ to make space for the Linux partition ? Am assuming he didn't
delete it from within Windows itself already.

You missed my earlier comment where I suggested shrinking C and D with PartitionMagic to leave some free space to install in. This is almost guaranteed to work whereas deleteing a D partition that's in use and referenced by existing programs is almost guaranteed to break stuff.

Am slightly confused so will have to try checking the install sequence
myself later.

VMware is dead useful. I lost count long ago of the number of installations I've done.

jch