windowmaker dead icons

Installed Windowmaker and I get dead icons with gaim and other apps.
Can anyone explain this or how to get rid of the dead or broken icons?

When I minimize an app like gaim, windowmaker shows two icons, one
broken icon that seems to do nothing.  Perhaps this is the icon made
for gnome-panel showing up as a dead icons???

I am also unclear on how to switch desktops or create another
desktop.

Installed the latest wmaker with yum.  After switching back to gnome,
gnome was broken.  I rm -Rf .gnome* and that seem to get everything
working but the panel icons are missing.

I would like to use windowmaker, but I need more info on how to use
it!  Before switching back to wmaker, where do I start?

I am sick of Gnome and I never use Nautilus (the gnome file manager).
I prefer the windowmaker layout like I see in other users
screenshots.  I did learn how to add apps to the menu in wmaker, but I
would like to find an easier way to add all the default shrike gnome
menus to windowmaker.  Surely someone has did this?

About the only thing I like about Gnome is gnome-panel. Perhaps one
can run gnome-panel in windowmaker (without all the error messages)?

TIA,

jay
--
Sometimes I feel like a rat in a cage...