Re: windowmaker dead icons

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 21:33, Jay Daniels wrote:
> Installed Windowmaker and I get dead icons with gaim and other apps.
> Can anyone explain this or how to get rid of the dead or broken icons?
>
> When I minimize an app like gaim, windowmaker shows two icons, one
> broken icon that seems to do nothing.  Perhaps this is the icon made
> for gnome-panel showing up as a dead icons???

When you run a program in Window Maker, if there is not currently an
icon on the dock or clip for that program, an app icon will appear
(default is bottom of the screen, starting from left to right as more
apps are opened). This icon can be left where it is, or it can be
attached to the dock or the clip, where it will stay even after the app
is closed. When you minimize a window, a "miniwindow" appears at the
bottom of the screen, with the window title across the top of the icon.

> I am also unclear on how to switch desktops or create another
> desktop.

ctrl+alt+<right arrow>/<left arrow> will switch workspaces, and
ctrl+alt+(number) will take you to the appropriate workspace. To create
new workspaces, there's an option to add a workspace in the workspaces
submenu (should be on the default menu, but it can be added in
WPrefs.app).

> Installed the latest wmaker with yum.  After switching back to gnome,
> gnome was broken.  I rm -Rf .gnome* and that seem to get everything
> working but the panel icons are missing.
>
> I would like to use windowmaker, but I need more info on how to use
> it!  Before switching back to wmaker, where do I start?

Try the user guide at:
http://windowmaker.org/documentation-userguide.html

> I am sick of Gnome and I never use Nautilus (the gnome file manager).
> I prefer the windowmaker layout like I see in other users
> screenshots.  I did learn how to add apps to the menu in wmaker, but I
> would like to find an easier way to add all the default shrike gnome
> menus to windowmaker.  Surely someone has did this?

Try Menu Maker (http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/), a python script that
will generate menus for a number of "alternative" window managers. The
menu generated for Window Maker was slightly better than doing it by
hand.

> About the only thing I like about Gnome is gnome-panel. Perhaps one
> can run gnome-panel in windowmaker (without all the error messages)?

Learn to use the dock in Window Maker before you decide to try and run
gnome-panel. See http://www.dockapps.org for some nice dock applets.

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>