Re: high traffic POP3d ?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:17:25AM -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
> The reason ISP's don't like to use IMAP and setup Full Featured web
> based mail
> is :
>
> 1) IMAP mail stays on the mail server.
> 2) People abuse mail storage systems. I have had people backing there
> machine up
> and saving the files on our mail server.
> 3) Any mail on the mail server is the responsibility of the ISP.
> 4) In Canada as of Jan 2004, Any mail on the mail server must be
> available to the
> customer, even if the account is suspended, all new mail must be
> rejected indicating
> that the account is suspended.
> 5) Due to privacy laws, it is in the ISP's best interest not to keep
> customer mail on their servers, for reasons of liability. If a hard
> drive becomes corrupted and someones mail is read unintentionaly
> during the recovery of damaged files, the ISP is liable to criminal
> and civil action. [snip]

The Canadian government department for which I work just issued an
edict: no more webmail access from gov't servers for employees. Seems
windows users were webmailing to their hotmail accounts and receiving
all kinds of nasty payloads which worked their way into the system. As
well, they have now decided that all port 80 traffic will be logged
and monitored. I believe that the virus/worm-riddled world out there
inherent to a certain platform will soon force a massive platform
rethink at the higher IT levels of my employer.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx