Re: high traffic POP3d ?

The reason ISP's don't like to use IMAP and setup Full Featured web based mail
is :

1) IMAP mail stays on the mail server.
2) People abuse mail storage systems. I have had people backing there machine up
and saving the files on our mail server.
3) Any mail on the mail server is the responsibility of the ISP.
4) In Canada as of Jan 2004, Any mail on the mail server must be available to the
customer, even if the account is suspended, all new mail must be rejected indicating
that the account is suspended.
5) Due to privacy laws, it is in the ISP's best interest not to keep customer
mail on their servers, for reasons of liability. If a hard drive becomes corrupted
and someones mail is read unintentionaly during the recovery of damaged files,
the ISP is liable to criminal and civil action.

The mail is yours, so you should store it, and be resposible for it.

Maybe before you whine about ISP's email offering you should, try and price out the
costs for supporting 20,000 mail accounts. I keep about 300MB of mail on my machine
but lets consider 30MB for an average user. I recieve about 1GB of mail {UCE included}
per year, lets say 100MB for the average user. Now lets say ISP's pay about $0.01/MB of
traffic, and 1MB of storage costs $10 per year to maintain. A user will read the good mail
messages that they keep at least twice, and checks mail at least once a week. The other
costs for equipment and labour are part of the overall service costs, not included here.

IMAP
100MB to get mail to ISP
100MB to get mail to customer initialy
30MB to read mail a second time {UCE not read again}
= 230MB traffic per year
230 * $0.01 = $2.3 per year
100MB / 52 ~ 2MB to store transient mail
30MB constant storage
= 32MB
32 * $10 = $320 per year
$2.3 + $320 = $322.3 per year = $26.86 per month

POP3
100MB to get mail to ISP
100MB to get mail to customer
= 200 MB traffic per year
200 * $0.01 = $2 per year
100MB / 52 ~ 2MB to store transient mail
2 * $10 = $20 per year
$2 + $20 = $22 per year = $1.83 per month

Savings using POP3
$26.86 - $1.83 = $25.03 per month
25.03 / 26.86 = 93%

Is IMAP worth $25 per month to you?

By the way, we do provide squirrel mail for our customers, but we disabled the folders
because it is supposed to be only for checking mail when away from your computer.

For the $30 per month an ISP gets for a residential account, doesn't cover the costs
an ISP must pay to service the account. Although residential DSL cost ISP's more than
they get from the customer, to stay in the market residential DSL has to be offered
and supplied at market rates.