Re: high traffic POP3d ?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:29:40PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> >t is wrong with the imaps and pop3s facilities in RH 9. They seem to
> >work pretty well for us.
>
> On a system with many users (ones who leave mail on the server), the
> UW-IMAP pop3 and imap servers use too much disk IO.
---end quoted text---

Then use Courier Imap.  The source includes an easy way to create an
rpm.

For better result, do away with pop3, and only allow the web server to
connect to the imap server and install a good web based email
application on the web server.  There are Squirrel Mail and many other
php based webmail apps available.  Use ssl for security.

With a lot of people using DSL, I wonder how many DSL connections are
volunerable to password sniffing when pop3 passwords are sent in plain
text?

Perhaps having ssh on the mail server and allowing user to login to a
controlled menu shell to read mail is a better more secure
alternative?

Why are people and ISPs so reluctant to address pop3 security issues?
Furthermore, why do people and organizations use Outlook and Outlook
Express at all?  One reason is that many ISPs do not have very good
webmail.  They will not consider Squirrel Mail, but usually install
some other crappy webmail that does nothing but use pop3 to grab your
mail from a remote mail server.

It is my belief that if ISPs and organizations had a good web mail
application setup from the gitgo, people would not even bother with
Outlook and they would use the webmail as their favorite mailer. User
space on the server would need to be increased too.

If I was in charge of an organization today, I would insist that all
Outlook and Outlook Express email clients be removed from their
systems.

I don't understand why organizations and system operators have not taken
control of their own systems.  Security is only as good as the weekest
password.  I read many security tips for Redhat and they all say
minumize open ports.  If you only open port 80 and 443 to the outside,
this would surely be a good start to a more secure system.

jay