Re: high traffic POP3d ?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Jay Daniels wrote:

> Furthermore, why do people and organizations use Outlook and Outlook
> Express at all?  One reason is that many ISPs do not have very good
> webmail.  They will not consider Squirrel Mail, but usually install
> some other crappy webmail that does nothing but use pop3 to grab your
> mail from a remote mail server.

perhaps because its more convenient, and easy, and can control what mail
gets to them. A lot of people are still on dialup, think about it, you
have 200 messages a day, thats 200 reloads of a webpage, not just the
content but all the crap webmail designers put around it, so your 1K
email turns into 20 to 70k, and those on DSL/Cable also prefere to have
their mail sent to them and instant notification without having to refresh
a web browser, many of us in this list also are old schol, console users,
ever tried to use webmail in lynx? But to have a browser open in X to have
to refresh all the time for new mail would be more of an inconvenice and
pure waste of my time, not to mention do you want to trust storage of
your mail to a 3rd party, thats a bigger security risk than your pop3
clear text comments.

OK, so you have a fascination with webmail, MOST people do not, we openly
tell people webmail is provided about 0.1% of users bother to use it,
thats been the case for years.

--
Regards,
Res