Re: high traffic POP3d ?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 07:44:00AM +1000, Res wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Jay Daniels wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, why do people and organizations use Outlook and Outlook
> > Express at all?  One reason is that many ISPs do not have very good
> > webmail.  They will not consider Squirrel Mail, but usually install
> > some other crappy webmail that does nothing but use pop3 to grab your
> > mail from a remote mail server.
>
> perhaps because its more convenient, and easy, and can control what mail
> gets to them. A lot of people are still on dialup, think about it, you
> have 200 messages a day, thats 200 reloads of a webpage, not just the
> content but all the crap webmail designers put around it, so your 1K
> email turns into 20 to 70k, and those on DSL/Cable also prefere to have
> their mail sent to them and instant notification without having to refresh
> a web browser, many of us in this list also are old schol, console users,
> ever tried to use webmail in lynx? But to have a browser open in X to have
> to refresh all the time for new mail would be more of an inconvenice and
> pure waste of my time, not to mention do you want to trust storage of
> your mail to a 3rd party, thats a bigger security risk than your pop3
> clear text comments.
>
> OK, so you have a fascination with webmail, MOST people do not, we openly
> tell people webmail is provided about 0.1% of users bother to use it,
> thats been the case for years.
---end quoted text---

As for storing the mail being not safe, if they want to read your mail
it doesn't matter whether it's stored or not. Besides, they already
have your encrypted password.

Ok, perhaps I do have a facination with web applications in general.
I've always said, all you need is a computer, an operating system, an
internet connection, and a web browser.  With that said, all the other
applications you use could actually be web based applications that are
available to anyone with an online connection and a web browser.  Very
cross platform to say the least.

Question:  Is your web based application Squirrelmail or some pop3
fetch program that leaves passwords in the http logs that are easily
decrypted?

Does your webmail interface contain ads?

Do users have at least 50mb of email storage space?

Can users connect via ssl or https?

There may be many reason users don't use your webmail interface.  One
being they are stuck on some windows client and have years of saved
email in that email program's format, heehee not really since their
Windows box has probably trashed their email many times:)

How does your service compare to COTSE?
http://www.cotse.net/privacyservice.html

Too bad ISP's prohibit open servers via DSL lines.  I can't understand
why.   When I first got DSL I was excited about running my own
webserver, but the thrill disappated after reading the service
agreement.  Guess the bottom line is, they want me to purchase web
space from them and they don't want me making any money selling disk
space or email accounts. - frankly, it all sucks chicken livers,
especially since the light on the internet side of my connection is
constantly blinking with worm and virus activity from windows boxes
and they won't do anything about that.

jay