Re: Where is LD_LIBRARY_PATH set?

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:53, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> So I have an app with its own library installed in a directory that's not
> on the usual path.  It's a commercial product that doesn't come as an RPM.
> This is the only package that cares about this particular library.
>
> > The real solution is to modify ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig.
>
> OK, in this case, I can do that.  But what if I'm just a user on the
> system.  Then I've installed the package in my home directory and I don't
> have root.  How do I get the package to find its library in that case?

A simple work around in this case is to create a small wrapper shell
script for your app that just sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then executes the
app's binary. Any user can do this without needing root privs.

> And while I appreciate the advice, that still doesn't answer the question
> of what's resetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH when I log in through X.  It makes me
> wonder what else is being done.

Not sure why this happens. If you find out, let us know.

--
Jonathan DeSena <jonathan.desena@xxxxxxxxxx>
JHU/APL