Re: RH9 Install from HD - howto

Arindam Dey wrote:

Just a question since you said you put the "images". I wanted to know is

it possible to put only the images and not the full blown tree in an nfs
export. And if yes then what do i do just put the images in a dir and
export it?

This is all in either the RELEASE-NOTES or the README, at least it was when I read it there for RH8.

If you have actual CDs then you can get a CD image like this:

dd bs=2k if=/dev/cdrom of=shrike-i386-disc1.iso

(and so on). Ignore the I/O error at the end (if any), it's harmless (There are numerous ways to get a CD image, this is just one of them). You can mount an image like this:

mount -o loop shrike-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/img

If you burn /mnt/img/images/boot.iso (I think that's what it's called) to a CD, you'll have a bootable CD that you can use for installation. It's a very small CD image, it only takes a few seconds to burn it. The install process will quite happily mount ISO images and install from them. And doing this over NFS is just fine. I do it all the time. Well, not _all_ the time, sometimes I read e-mail, sometimes I eat, sometimes I sleep :-) I singular advantage of this is that you have the ISOs to hand for machines that don't have a working network connection. I don't think that this works with an FTP or HTTP installation, but I must admit I've not tried one of those as NFS tends to be rather more efficient.

jch