RE: RH9 Install from HD - howto

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 17:13, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >>If you have two machines and a network you can do what I do a lot: put
> >>the CD images in an NFS-exported directory on the second machine and
> >>then boot off the CD boot image and do and NFS install.
>
> If only I knew how to do that.. CD-Images?? the RD9 CDs I have are all
> files..
>
> Besides, our network is mainly Windows.. So... one less option for me..

Um you could set up an ftp or an http server on one of the windows pc.
Copy the contents of the entire first disc into a directory named say
"MyCopyOfRedhat". Then copy the contents of RedHat/RPMS/*.* from disc 2
and 3 into the dir MyCopyOfRedhat/RedHat/RPMS created by your first disc
copy.

Make the whole dir available through http or ftp. I mean if somebody
types the following in a web browser he should see the full contents or
tree of the installation cd.

http://192.168.1.50/MyCopyOfRedhat/

Alternatively if you set up an ftp server then

ftp://192.168.1.50/MyCopyOfRedhat/

After this you can pop in your RedHat linux boot disk which you have
already created and the boot prompt type "linux askmethod". This will
bring you to a screen after you have selected language etc which will
ask you the following options

Local CDROM ------ Not an option for you since CDROM not working
Hard Drive  ------ Maybe an option if you got the cd images that you
		   downloaded and burned lying around dunno if you can use 		   the
full blown image like you can for NFS , HTTP and FTP
NFS Image   ------ Again not an option since only Windows network like
		   you said
HTTP        ------ Yes an option finally, if you configured the HTTP
		   server
FTP         ------ Yes another option if you configured the FTP server

Any methods apart from the above ones if they exist someone please tell
me then I would like to know also.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be filled
but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739