Re: up2date and Fedora question

At 22:35 10/17/2003, you wrote:
This one time, at band camp, "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you're already paying for up2date, then I suggest you look at Red Hat
> Professional Workstation for your small servers. It includes a year of
> up2date and the cost is like $85 I think at buy.com, so that's $60 for the
> year of up2date and $25 for the box with CD's and manuals... seems more
> than fair to me.

That sounds fair, but I dont use up2date, will there be an option to buy
only the box and CDs or will the up2date service be forced upon us?

Specifically in the case of RHPW, the box list price is around $99 (but $82.50 at buy.com, just checked) and includes a year of up2date. This particular product does not have a way to get the box and manuals without the up2date service. At least, not at this time; who knows what the future will bring?

Remember that Red Hat has lost money in the past on boxed sets which did not use up2date and cost them significant amounts in later bandwidth. So it makes sense to me that now they would attempt to make a boxed set where yes, they lose money on the initial sale of the box, but slowly recover that loss (and later turn a profit) on the subscription to updates.

By the way, if you don't use up2date, how are you going to keep the RHPW system current and patched? I don't know, but I would _guess_, that if RH is not making the ISO images and package tree for RHPW available for download, that then perhaps they will also not publish and mirror the binary updates via FTP and mirrors. Again, guessing here... but it seems like RHPW does share a lot with RHEL in that sense: updates distributed via up2date, or src.rpm packages made available for free download so you can rebuild them if you choose to do so.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx