Re: up2date and Fedora question

At 15:49 10/16/2003, you wrote:
I have a ton of servers running RH 6-9 and Love up2date to patch them all.  I
certainly also understand paying for that service and do pay for it.

What differences will I see with Fedora?  Same release names 10, 11 etc.
Will up2date still be available?

up2date will still be available, and will be able to patch your Fedora boxes too. However, Red Hat will not be issuing patches for 7.3 after the end of this year, and it has also stopped patches for 6.x already. So those are servers that really need to be upgraded to something newer, but it's not a problem with up2date.

If you're already paying for up2date, then I suggest you look at Red Hat Professional Workstation for your small servers. It includes a year of up2date and the cost is like $85 I think at buy.com, so that's $60 for the year of up2date and $25 for the box with CD's and manuals... seems more than fair to me. RHPW will also have a longer life and longer support, much like RHEL, which will be good for servers. Only thing I know it does not include is a DNS and FTP server package, but those don't need to be on every box and they are trivially easy to add anyway.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx