Re: Next RedHat version

At 11:13 10/17/2003, you wrote:
I was told that it would have the exact same package set as RHEL WS,
which in it's last incarnation seemed to be missing quite a bit of
stuff. [...] I'll reserve my opinion on the validity of RHPWS as a
server OS until it's actually released and I can get a package list
from the CDs.

I agree... we'll know for sure in about a week or so. I'm buying one copy as fast as I can for my home server, and I'll get my info from that. Of course, whoever gets their hands on an RHPW box first should IMMEDIATELY post a packagelist to redhat-list.

If we look at the website, here is what it lists so far as being not
available in RHELWS:

amanda-server, arptables_jf, bind, caching-nameserver, dhcp, freeradius,
inews, inn, krb5-server, netdump-server, openldap-servers, pxe, quagga,
radvd, rarpd, redhat-config-bind, redhat-config-netboot, tftp-server,
tux, vsftpd, ypserv

The only ones that would affect me are: bind, dhcp, and vsftpd, and then only on some servers. Guess overall I have smaller servers. For radvd, rarpd, tftpd, and pxe, only one of my boxes has those and that one can be a Fedora box or my current Sun SS5 running Aurora 1.0 (rebuild of RHL 7.3 for sparc). But if you really use all that stuff, then perhaps one ES and the rest PW would be a viable combination for you...?

Thanks for the specific response; much easier to carry on an argument this way. :-)

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx