Re: Next RedHat version

On Friday 17 October 2003 10:05, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Define "a lot of" and "etc., etc." Be specific, and note your
> sources.
>
> Note that this is a product which has not been released yet, but FROM
> WHAT I'VE HEARD so far, the only two server packages not included are
> BIND for DNS and vsftpd for FTP. SSHd is included, mail server
> software is included, webserver software is included, and databases
> (mysql and postgresql) are included. Yes, this might conceivably be
> wrong, but this is the info I have.
>
> What else?

I was told that it would have the exact same package set as RHEL WS,
which in it's last incarnation seemed to be missing quite a bit of
stuff.  There has already been one case of marketing jumping the gun on
website content, so I don't even trust www.redhat.com anymore for
information.  I'll reserve my opinion on the validity of RHPWS as a
server OS until it's actually released and I can get a package list
from the CDs.

If we look at the website, here is what it lists so far as being not
available in RHELWS:

amanda-server, arptables_jf, bind, caching-nameserver, dhcp, freeradius,
inews, inn, krb5-server, netdump-server, openldap-servers, pxe, quagga,
radvd, rarpd, redhat-config-bind, redhat-config-netboot, tftp-server,
tux, vsftpd, ypserv

I see 7 packages in that list that would keep it from being deployed as
a server in my data closet.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: