From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 11:35 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: e-mail etiquette

At 09:36 10/5/2003, you wrote:
>It makes no sense whatever to me to scroll through 50 lines of
>previously posted text [...]

This simply exemplifies the _other_ bad habit most people have: not
trimming the reply down to the "minimum required to provide context."
Note
how this message kept exactly 1.5 lines of previous text, just enough
for
you to know and understand to which text I was replying.

However, having done that... then the obviously more useful thing is to
keep text in order, which generally means chronological order, and the
nature of one-to-many communication as discussed in RFC1855 makes
"bottom-posting" by far the preferable method in these cases. If, on the

other hand, you are merely conversing one-on-one with a friend by email,

then by all means feel free to top-post if you desire! In that
circumstance
one usually remembers the previous response so top-posting is quicker
and
more convenient.

>The rest of the time this is wasted effort.  I am physically challenged

>and barely have enough strength in my hands to use the keyboard and
>mouse.

I strongly suggest you look into speech command, which has progressed
quite
a bit and which may make your life much easier. In particular, IBM
ViaVoice
may be of interest to you. However, your disability does not change the
fact that a community of X thousands of users prefers a certain
protocol...
in such a case, one must do one's best to adapt to the community in
order
to coexist harmoniously.

I am temporally challenged (never have enough time), and top posted
threads
get quickly confusing, thus I am not able or willing to spend the time
pick up the thread and offer help. Many of the more expert list denizens

feel the same way and have oh-so-many times strongly expressed the same
position. Please, chew on people for excessive quoting, but honor this
list's netiquette and do not top post.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx