Re: e-mail etiquette

At 09:36 10/5/2003, you wrote:
It makes no sense whatever to me to scroll through 50 lines of
previously posted text [...]

This simply exemplifies the _other_ bad habit most people have: not trimming the reply down to the "minimum required to provide context." Note how this message kept exactly 1.5 lines of previous text, just enough for you to know and understand to which text I was replying.

However, having done that... then the obviously more useful thing is to keep text in order, which generally means chronological order, and the nature of one-to-many communication as discussed in RFC1855 makes "bottom-posting" by far the preferable method in these cases. If, on the other hand, you are merely conversing one-on-one with a friend by email, then by all means feel free to top-post if you desire! In that circumstance one usually remembers the previous response so top-posting is quicker and more convenient.

The rest of the time this is wasted effort.  I am physically challenged and
barely have enough strength in my hands to use the keyboard and mouse.

I strongly suggest you look into speech command, which has progressed quite a bit and which may make your life much easier. In particular, IBM ViaVoice may be of interest to you. However, your disability does not change the fact that a community of X thousands of users prefers a certain protocol... in such a case, one must do one's best to adapt to the community in order to coexist harmoniously.

I am temporally challenged (never have enough time), and top posted threads get quickly confusing, thus I am not able or willing to spend the time to pick up the thread and offer help. Many of the more expert list denizens feel the same way and have oh-so-many times strongly expressed the same position. Please, chew on people for excessive quoting, but honor this list's netiquette and do not top post.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx